Sunday, July 31, 2022

July Reads


41.  Malibu Rising (Reid) ~ 3.25/5 (just okay +), audiobook

Here's a book that I don't understand the hype.  I enjoyed the writing style and really got to know the main characters, but overall, it was just okay.  The additional characters towards the end muddled it up for me.  7-1-22



42.  The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (Reid) ~ 4.75/5 (excellent +), book

Another book by Reid, but this one ... WOW!  Almost a 5/5 for me.  From the first page to the last, I was wrapped up in Evelyn's drama.  There wasn't only drama, though.  It was packed with issues of today.  I didn't want the story to end.
7-6-22 



43.  Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Kawaguchi) ~ 3.25/5 (just okay +), audiobook

I thought this had a great concept, but hoped for a little more oomph in its execution.  I think the translation felt a little stilted, and some of the storyline was repetitive, which affected my enjoyment.  7-15-22



44.  The Collective (Gaylin) ~ 4.25/5 (very good +), book

I didn't want to put this book down.  I was so curious as to how it was going to end.  This was a new-to-me author that I'm definitely going to look up again.  7-15-22



Stay Awake (Goldin) ~ DNF (did not finish), ebook, NetGalley

Seriously - don't know what happened here.  I was sure this was going to be a winner for me and the opposite happened.  First (hopefully last) DNF of the year.  I never wanted to pick it up, so it was deterring me from reading.  Not good.  Finally decided after 56% to just put it to rest.  7-15-22



45.  The Arrangment (Modglin) ~ 4/5 (very good), ebook

I was on the fence with rating this book, until I was typing this.  A pro and con was the very simplistic/basic writing style.  I didn't care for it, yet loved it because I could pick it up and zip through it WHILE enjoying the storyline.  It didn't hold much depth, but it had some good twists.  It was a fun read, and I will be picking up the next in this trilogy.  All of that warrants a 4/5.  7-30-22



46.  The Push (Audrain) ~ 3.5/5 (good), book

Another difficult book to rate.  The writing was good, but it made me feel all the main character's feelings, which affected me in a negative way.  It incorporated a LOT of frustration, confusion and sadness.  That cloud made me feel blah.  Not a great way to close the cover of a book.  7-31-22         




Monthly - Yearly

Audiobooks:  2 - 16

Books:  3 - 25

eBooks:  1 - 5

New-to-Me Authors:  4 - 27

DNF:  1 - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!