Monday, January 01, 2007

"U" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads, Classics Challenge #1/5 & By the Decades Challenge ~ 60's (1960)

RABBIT, RUN
John Updike
Personal Rating: 1.5/5
Yearly Count: 1




Definitely not a good start to a new year, but it can only get better...right?

In the beginning, I shook my head due to the lengthy, drawn-out verbiage; in the middle, I shook my head due to Rabbit's (main character) ridiculous choices; and at the end, I shook my head due to the pathetic conclusion.

The only reason I gave this book a "1.5/5" rating is due to the shaking of my head. It did evoke hostile emotions in me, which I believe deserve something...either that or while I was rating it I was dizzy due to the shaking. ??? No matter, it's over.

Except for the
Classics Challenge and my need for an "U" Author for my A ~ Z Reads, this book would have never entered my hands. And now it gets lumped together with many other classics I have read, that fall into the category of..."Why is this a classic?" I sure hope my next one is a winner.

I cannot predict the future, but there is no plan of mine to read another Updike book; however, I can now say, at the very least, that I did read one - for whatever that's worth, because I found absolutely no value to this read.

13 comments:

  1. I read the entire Rabbit series last year, and I like Updike's style, but I dislike Rabbit Angstrom intensely. Perhaps we are too far removed from the decade this took place in, I don't know. Other Updike novels were more enjoyable to me, like "The Witches of Eastwick" and "In the Beauty of the Lilies". Don't give up on him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kookiejar ~ I didn't like the 50 words per sentence when 7 would suffice. It made me feel like I was going nowhere and "I got the picture" kept resonating in my mind. With that said, I guess I don't like his style. As for the storyline itself, I hated it and I made absolutely NO CONNECTION to the characters. As you may be able to read, I'm still "ticked off". Being that I have this strong emotion left over from last night, Updike must have done something right. Isn't some emotion (good or bad) better than none?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure 'ticked off' is the emotion Updike was going for ;), but you are right, I'm sure he'd be happy you felt something.

    If you go A-Z again, try Brady Udall's astounding novel "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" for your U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kookiejar ~ May I call you Kookie? :) Thank you so much for the "U" recommendation! I have LOVED doing my "NEW-TO-ME" Author-Based A-Z Reads and will definitely do it again. Now I just have to make sure I save that book for my challenge. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like a real loser! Sorry you had to waste your time on it. Like you say - the next one can only be better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read it but will probably try a different novel by John Updike and also get it from the library. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call me anything except late for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:29 AM

    I tried to read this novel, but I despised Rabbit and felt like you did... a page when a paragraph would work. I gave up after the third chapter. You have my admiration for actually finishing that monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Booklogged ~ Honestly, I'm glad I can say I know about the "Rabbit Series" now, but it was hard to get through.

    Lover of Books ~ Thankfully, I am a library-user!

    Kookie ~ Okay, I'll remember that. I know someone that used to say that all the time. :)

    Kristin ~ I know that you've worked through some as well, unfortunately it happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'll skip Updike. Sorry you were disappointed, but glad you got your "U" finished. But Kookiejar's recomendation looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Framed ~ That suggestion does look good, doesn't it!?!

    Sherry ~ Thank you. I love the idea of your Saturday Review. :) As for Updike...I wasn't too impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:00 PM

    I'm with you on this one, Joy. I disliked this book when I read it years ago and I vowed I'd never read another Updike novel again.

    I know what you mean about some of these "classics" which make you wonder how they got there. I just attempted to read Catch-22...another "classic" that so many people rave over...it left me cold and I abandoned it on page 70.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy ~ I don't seem to do too well with classics. The good news is that at least I'm up to speed with what they are all about. ??? I don't know how "good" that is, but that's what I keep telling myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!