Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Personal Genre Challenge

COMPLETED ON: 12-06-07


I know, I know...

The thought of another challenge really isn't too appealing, but this Personal Genre Challenge holds no goals that I must meet. Phew! I can do that because I made it up for myself. So how is it a challenge you wonder, well...I see it as if I read anything outside my preferred genres, it's a challenge.

So, keeping with the theme of the year...CHALLENGE, I have decided to keep a separate record of the books that I read during this year that I feel are outside my comfort zone. Even though there is no specific number of books I have to read, I have the challenge of literally reaching out and picking up books that I normally wouldn't give a second glance or even go near. Who knows, trying a new genre may develop into a new love...anything can happen.

The following books are those that I have already committed to reading this year. They may be the only three...time will tell. (I plan on adding books as I go along.) Under the title is the name of the blog that somehow put me over the edge encouraged me to read the book. I'm not sure how that happened; it must have been my evil twin at work. Needless to say, I'm going to give 'em a try. Here's to new genres! :)



*1. Alas, Babylon (Frank) ~ Sci-Fi/Post-Apocalyptic
Finished on 8-13-07


*2.
Twilight (Meyer) ~ YA, Supernatural/Vampires
Finished on 3-7-07


*3.
The Goose Girl (Hale) ~ YA, Fantasy/Fairy Tale
Finished on 2-27-07


*4.
The Road (McCarthy) ~ Post-Apocalyptic
Finished on 4-3-07


*5. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (DiCamillo) ~ Children's Fiction, Fantasy
Finished on 3-9-07


6. Watership Down (Adams) ~ YA, Fantasy
RESHELVED


*7.
The Inhabited World (Long) ~ Supernatural/Ghost
Finished on 3-25-07


*8. Heart-Shaped Box (Hill)
~ Supernatural/Ghosts
Finished on 4-28-07


*9. Anansi Boys (Gaiman) ~ Fantasy
Finished on 7-18-07


10. A Wild Sheep Chase (Murakami)
Did Not Finish


*Clicking on a title will link you to "Thoughts of Joy..."

12 comments:

  1. Joy, I'm honored to have pushed you over the edge TWICE! ;) I think it's bold of you to challenge yourself this way, and to encourage others to do the same. I truly, truly hope you enjoy the books you've chosen and I look forward to hearing your thoughts (especially because those are two of my favorite books!) Good luck and good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel like the year for challenges, doesn't it? I think this is a great idea, Joy! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Joy! I may join you on Alas, Babylon. I have it on my shelf and my husband highly recommends it. He also just finished The Road and I plan to read it next month. You've seen my review for Twilight, so you already know I enjoyed it. Never have heard of The Goose Girl. Off to A Reader's Journal to see what it's about. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kookie ~ I hope I enjoy them too, but please, oh please don't take offense if I don't. You can just think...it's her loss or she's crazy! :) Okay?

    Literary Feline ~ Thank you!

    Les ~ So glad to hear more positive comments regarding my choices. By the way, check my post on THE THINGS THEY CARRIED. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind one bit if you don't like them. You are trying them and that's better than some people will ever do. I think it's great that you are open to new reading experiences, and if they end up not being your bag, you are still better off for trying. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool idea Joy! I read Twilight with my daughter and loved it. I hope you do too. I will be checking into some of the titles you have listed if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Must. Not. Join. More. Challenges.....

    But what a good idea! The Road should be wonderful if only for Cormac McCarthy's wonderful way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kookie ~ I see it as...you don't know until you try 'em.

    Amy ~ Oh good, another positive endorsement. Thank you. :)

    Carrie K. ~ How bizarre is that!?! Two Carrie K's!

    You can do this. It's just a personal challenge, nothing to join and no pressure...just read something outside your comfort zone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:28 AM

    I can do this! I don't have to add books to my list and I am DEFINITELY stepping outside my comfort zone this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Think Pink ~ I stepped out of my comfort zone when I joined the classics challenge. How sad is that!?! :) Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there a time where this challenge takes place? I'd love to join, but I have no clue whether this is still possible...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathrin ~ Nope! There's no special time or place to sign up. You can do it however you'd like. You are welcome to use the image, too. Have fun and Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!